Here we discuss Volvo related topics in english

Moderator: Moderatorer

Hi,

I've bought a bike carrier rack for my V40 and I wonder what I can do in order to have my number plate more visible (without dismantling my back plate and mount it on the bike carrier). I have asked Transportstyrelsen if it's possible to order another extra plate, but they've said that I could receive such plate only in case of lost/stolen. From the police (Swedish and European) perspective, I wonder regarding the below:

1. Am I risking to get a fine for not using a number plate on the bike carrier itself? A police officer can say that my bicycle is obstructing visually the number plates.
2. Am I allowed to order a custom plate from one of these two websites and put it on the bike carrier? Is it legal?

https://www.customeuropeanplates.com/ee ... plate.html
https://www.germanplates.com/swedish-license-plate.html

How are you carrying your bikes?

Basically, my intention is to display my real number plates more visible, without dismantling the existing plate from my car. Would that be acceptable or should I avoid it?

Thank you,
Andreas
This is a common point of discussion on bicycle forums. I've seen several instances of people having asked the police and recieved answers along the lines of "damned if you do, damned if you don't according to the law. but we (the police) would in practice rather you had an extra plate so we can see it".

You can just log onto transportstyrelsen and order one. No questions asked. That's what I've done.
I know that it's unsafe to have more plates (sometimes it happens that they are stolen and used on other cars), but I wonder how my discomfort can be solved legally.
Still, Transportsyrelsen said this to me:

"You can only have two plates for a vehicle, so you can not order an additional plate for putting on the bicycle holder. At the same time, the plate must be sitting on the car be clearly visible.
You may only apply for a replacement plate at the Transportstyrelsen or at a Police authority if a registration plate has been destroyed, lost, changed or for other reasons not suitable for use.
We at the Transportstyrelsen can answer questions about legal texts about this, the Police interprets the law."

Indeed, I was able to order one plate for 90kr and I got no more questions about it. Hopefully I will not have any problems with this.
Yes you just log onto the self service page and click to order one and you get a package and an invoice a few days later. The small print on the invoice says to destroy the old plates but that's it. Since I have an old car I ordered two and put them on the car then the least worn of the old ones on the bike carrier (with a ton of glue, it'll break before anyone gets it off..).

To be strictly legal the only way to do it is to have the bikes on the roof out of the way of the plates.
SBergdahl skrev: sön 15 apr 2018, 09:32 I'm guessing you'd have to be quite unlucky to find a police officer who will fine you for actually trying to keep the plate visible.
Indeed! In my case it's only to make the car's registration number more visible, because the bicycle itself is obstructing the car's body number plates. It's more easy to dismantle while parking the number plate from the Thule rack (it has two clips only), than to take it out from the car's body and mount it each time on the bike carrier.

I have bought this folding one: https://www.thule.com/en-gb/gb/bike-rac ... 2-_-933300
andeug skrev: sön 15 apr 2018, 09:39
SBergdahl skrev: sön 15 apr 2018, 09:32 I'm guessing you'd have to be quite unlucky to find a police officer who will fine you for actually trying to keep the plate visible.
Indeed! In my case it's only to make the car's registration number more visible, because the bicycle itself is obstructing the car's body number plates. It's more easy to dismantle while parking the number plate from the Thule rack (it has two clips only), than to take it out from the car's body and mount it each time on the bike carrier.

I have bought this folding one: https://www.thule.com/en-gb/gb/bike-rac ... 2-_-933300
That's the one I'd get as well if space for two bikes was enough. Being able to actually fit it inside the car when parked is neat.

If you want to secure the number plate better add som adhesive. I've got some really strong double sided tape pieces keeping all the plates on the car. You'll bend and twist them a lot long before they come loose unless you just happen to bring the right chemicals to take the glue off.

Stealing a plate from a regular plastic plate holder is one in a few seconds as well so stealing plates can't be that attractive.
andeug skrev: sön 15 apr 2018, 09:24 I know that it's unsafe to have more plates (sometimes it happens that they are stolen and used on other cars)
What is the difference if you have 2 or 3 plates? If anyone wants to steel a plate from you and use on their car it does not matter if you own 2 or 3 plates.

Jag testa car.info för skojs skull och sö[…]

Nya E-klass AllTerrain kanske? Ja jag gick fr&ar[…]

Weber 32dir på en b20

Har du en B20B ska det sitta dubbla SU, annars &au[…]

Jag syftar på resonemanget som somliga sl&a[…]